Sunday, March 20, 2011

Moon

Last night, the moon was very close to the earth. On a Dutch news site I read this: "The distance between earth and moon is a mere 221566 miles while on average the distance is 238544 miles. That is why we see the biggest moon in nearly 18 years, that is, if the sky is clear." 

And clear it was. I took a picture of the moon as I could see it from behind our home. That is why you see chimneys and with a little bit of imagination they look like tree tops.
Full moon close to the earth
It is a shame that pictures never do justice to the moon. You can't really see how big or beautiful she was that night. Of course there are such pictures, but they were not taken with my little camera.

Once I drove with my sister over the Afsluitdijk at night. On the water of the IJsselmeer lake we saw something that looked like an enormous lit sail of a ship. We could not believe our eyes. A gigantic sailboat with a lit sail? Or perhaps a hot air balloon, something on the other side of the lake? We were both fascinated by this extraordinary spectacle. After a while we realized that what we saw was the moon. Big, not quite full, and just above the water. Last night my sister and I talked about this. She too remembers it as if it were yesterday. It was magical. It may easily have been 18 years ago...

Below a painting and a drawing I once did of the moon. I have a thing for this celestial body.
painting, acrylic, hands uplifted towards full moon

personal Eternity Game card Moon
The words are Guide, Silence, Mystery, Reflection

1 comment:

  1. I love your hands reaching to the moon. Can we get copyright permission to put it on the front of my massage therapist's brochure? We live in a tiny town in upstate New York. Pls. advise.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete